Description taken from public sources. Read disclaimer.
First responders in general, and HAZMAT units in particular, must make many decisions quickly in handling hazardous-materials incidents. They need accurate information about the hazardous substances, the emergency resources available, and the surrounding environmental conditions to save lives and minimize the impact on the environment and physical property. The WISER application extracts content from TOXNET’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), an authoritative, peer-reviewed information resource maintained by the National Library of Medicine, and places that information into the hands of those who need it most.
Features of WISER
- Rapid access to the most important information about a hazardous substance by an intelligent synopsis engine and display called “Key Info”
- Intuitive, simple, logical user interface developed by working with experienced first responders
- Comprehensive decision support, including assistance in identification of an unknown substance and, once the substance is identified, guidance on immediate actions necessary to save lives and protect the environment
- GIS support provides for isolation/protective distance overlays on a map of the incident
- Access to NLM’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), which contains detailed peer-reviewed information on hazardous substances
- User Profiles enable users to specify the role they are currently playing at the scene of an incident: first responder, HAZMAT specialist, EMS specialist, hospital provider, or preparedness planner. The key information presented to the user about a substance varies depending on this role, so that the information most relevant to the respective job can be quickly accessed.
- Radiological and biological substance support.
- ERG 2012 data; the iPhone version of WISER includes the full ERG 2012 tool.
- Mobile support, providing first responders critical information where they need it, when they need it.
Download from Apple App Store
Download from Google Play
Download from Blackberry World
Download from Windows Phone Store
"One time I responded for a call about an unknown white powder at a residence. Using WISER, we determined that it was an innocuous substance and spared the HAZMAT team a fullblown response." - EMT
You must be logged in to post a comment.